Home - Pro Tennis Talk - A setback

A setback

Posted on April 16, 2013 in Pro Tennis Talk

My doubles partner Ibrahim and I at the Yonex Cup.

My doubles partner Ibrahim and I at the Yonex Cup.

Friday night brought the challenge of the quarterfinals of the doubles draw. My partner Ibrahim and I were set to play Rylan Rizza and Peter Lucassen, both good players and both still in the singles tournament. I had been pretty sore all day. To be honest after my long singles and doubles matches on Thursday night I felt as if I had been hit by a bus. When my feet hit the ground on Friday morning I was a little concerned about my match that night. I did, however, have the whole day to try to recover which I took full advantage of. I iced and stretched multiple times, rubbed muscle cream into my quads, hips and knees, and tried every trick in the book to loosen up. Thankfully it was Day 2 of the Masters golf tournament, so that kept me occupied for most of the day as I laid on the floor in my living room trying to expedite the healing process. By mid-afternoon I felt pretty good. I felt I was ready for another tough match that evening.

Unfortunately when my partner and I arrived at the tournament site, ready for our match at 6:30pm we were told that in fact our match had been pushed back to 7:30pm. This threw off my warm up routine a little and by the time our match was finally called I felt a bit cold and stiff. We got off to a slow start and midway through the 1st set, having just broken back to get the score to 3-2, I felt something in my right knee pop. I kept playing but I knew something was not right. I persevered, hoping that the pain in my knee would subside and loosen up again, however it never did. As the match went on the sharp pain got worse and worse, and by the end I was in pretty bad shape.

To make a long story short, we lost 6-3 6-3. We had a lot of chances and hung in there, but just couldn’t take advantage of our opportunities.  I spent the weekend icing, elevating and resting. Thankfully there was no swelling which is good sign but it definitely felt a little worse than it has in the last few weeks.

By Monday my knee felt a lot better. I’m hoping it was just an overload problem. It’s been a long time since I’ve played that much tennis in two days so I think it was just a bit of a shock to the system. This is the path I’ve chosen so I am going to do everything in my power to stay fit and healthy. I just need to stay the course and be religious with my icing, stretching, and gym maintenance routines. I’ll be fine.

Overall, I thought it was a good tournament for me. I played very well in parts and left the tournament really feeling like I can still compete with the best of them. I have another tournament coming up at the end of the month, the Ojai Valley Championships. I’ll take it easy for a few days and then get back into the training again by the end of the week. I’ll be doing a blog about my equipment and what tricks have worked for me in the past, so be sure to look out for that in the next few days. Talk to you soon.



Leave a Reply

  • Categories

  • Archives

  • Email Subscribe